Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Xmarks the Spot

Xmarks Logo

Have you ever had that moment when you’re on a computer other than your own and you have a really great Internet bookmark saved?  Like a really precious laughing baby video that you just have to show someone but can’t remember the title?  Well I think I’ve honestly found the answer for you!  Xmarks.com provides a platform for bookmark synchronization in which you can access your personal bookmarks on any computer!  Sounds pretty great right?  I know I’ve made a list of my bookmarks before to make sure that if they ever got erased I would have a way to access them again, but this sync is literally instantaneous (it's updated every time you add a new bookmark)!  Unbelievably all you have to do is log-into the website on any computer and BAM! all your favorite websites saved at your fingertips.

It seems like a great website for teachers because you have the option to keep work and personal bookmarks separate.  So ideally, you could open up an educational resource on your computer (that you might have synced with Xmarks on your home computer) in your classroom you’re your Xmarks and your kids wouldn’t see your list of fashion blogs, or your affinity for cute cat videos.  And you can add tags and descriptions to your bookmarks for ease of searching.  You simply create a separate profile and can authorize it on another computer (I’ve only used Chrome with this website and it creates on extension, so I’m not quite sure what the results are with another browser).  And I think it would be really helpful for students as well!  They can also keep a home/school bookmark separation.  This could be super helpful for sorting project and resource ideas, keeping citations and for looking up other bookmarks that other users have recommended.


I really suggest taking a look at the site and testing it out for a week or so to see if it’s the bookmark organizer you want to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment